Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dagnabbit

So I was watching Batman: The Animated Series just now.  The episode was fine, just as awesome as I remembered, that wasn't the problem.  The problem (if it can be called such) lay in the end credits, whose copyright dated the episode to...1992.  Dear lord.  Yes, that's right, the (for me) iconic Batman series, Timm and Dini's masterpiece, is twenty years old.

That latter word is what I'd like to discuss today, because the revelation left me feeling very much so.  I don't know if that's a good thing or not--I may lean one way or another, depending on my mood.  Right now the trend is towards "bad", if only because it was the first time I'd truly felt that way, and as we all know, old farts hate new things.

I'm supposing this happens to everyone--the sudden, searing revelation that one is regarded as "uncool" due simply to one's age.  This is of course monstrously unfair, as in the great uncoolness spectrum it is, perhaps, the only factor over which one has no control.  (Most of the others have to do with "not being a douchebag" and "staying open-minded, for fucksake", truisms that hold regardless of vintage.)

No comments:

Post a Comment