Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I still wasn't paying $45 for a T-shirt, though

What did I do last Saturday? Oh, not much. Just saw FUCKING MOTORHEAD, is all.



And I got pictures. Not good pictures, mind you, but the best I could get from the Roseland's balcony with a cellphone.

The picture above is of the opening act, The Reverend Horton Heat. Who were awesome. Seriously, I'd go out just to see them in concert, they were that good.

There was another opening band too, called Nashville Pussy. MAN did they blow. They were a total throwback, and not the good kind like Motorhead and Horton Heat. The only good part of their set was when the frontman kindly removed his cowboy hat so the assembled throng might point and laugh at his combover skullet, thereby deriving some small amount of pleasure from their otherwise-forgettable set.

This is a pattern I've noticed at every concert I've been to--two opening acts, the first one terrible, the second almost as good as the headliner. It's almost like promoters feel sorry for these first acts.




See, I have no idea what these two are supposed to be pictures of. Some of them I had to delete 'cuz you couldn't even see this much. As always where Motorhead's involved, you just had to be there. Or buy the performance DVD it looked like they were filming that night.




Heh, now this was funny. Motorhead did an acoustic piece by the name of--what else?--"Whorehouse Blues". Have you seen Lemmy play a harmonica? No? Then you, my friend, have not lived.



From the drum solo, I believe. Their drummer is very talented but, like all drum solos, it was way too long and incredibly boring. It wasn't his fault--such is and ever shall be the way of the universe.




More videos of I-don't-know-what-the-fuck.

Before you ask--of COURSE Motorhead played Ace of Spades. It's okay--remember, there are no stupid questions. Except that one. They also played a couple songs from an album they released when I was a year old. That fact stunned me at the time--I felt compelled to yell it out loud. Not that they ignored their more recent albums; they played a couple from their last two as well.

Do you think it's a hassle from bands this old to put setlists together? Motorhead are fairly lucky in this area, I think, because they only really have one must-play song. What must it be like for bands with a dozen hit songs or more? No wonder some concerts go on for 3 hours or more. Still doesn't excuse the ticket prices if you ask me...



And here we have the aftermath. I showed up just early enough that I didn't have much trouble getting in, though the line was already back to Couch St. by then. I'm glad I got there when I did though, because by the time I got to the door the line had completely reformed behind me.

Getting out, though, was a bit more hassle. It literally took like ten minutes of inching towards the stairs and finally out the door--it was worse than when I saw Opeth. Still, it could've been worse--the place could've been on fire.

It's not often I make it out to concerts. When someone I want to see comes through, nine times out of ten I have to work the day they're playing. When I do make it out, though, it's always a memorable time, and this was no exception. I understand why a lot of the guys there were seeing Motorhead for the fourth or fifth time. And DAMN were they loud--good thing I wore earplugs, cuz if I'd been deaf I probably could've heard them through the vibrations in my sternum. And the guy I was sitting in front of flatly refused to wear earplugs. Scary.

Myself, I had a sore throat for two days afterward from screaming my head off between songs. Totally worth it, though. Hell, I would've stage-dived off the balcony if I'd thought anyone would've caught me.

Yes, I have seen Motorhead live. And that is yet another reason why I am cooler than all of you. Combined. Unless, of course, you're a roadie for Motorhead. Or are actually IN Motorhead. Or you're Horton Heat...

But I AM cooler than Nashville Pussy! So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment