Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gyaahhhh...

Well.

I know I said yesterday how my mind was clear for the second half-hour, and I might well write about pretty much anything. I was even formulating a humorous short piece--a re-telling of St. Patrick expelling the snakes from Ireland, utilizing several Irish ethnic stereotypes for comedic effect, if you must know.

But that shall have to wait. It's now abundantly clear that there's only one thing on my mind, and therefore only one thing I could possibly write about:

This. Fucking. Headache.

It feels like I'm being shot between the eyes in slow motion. It feels like someone was running a jackhammer in my skull, dropped it and now it's pounding away at the back of my brow. It feels like the pile of wasp eggs nested in my cranium are hatching and the larvae are chewing their way out.

It feels, as I mentioned on Facebook, like God shit in my brain.

What did I ever do to him? Questions I know the answers to I don't need to ask, I guess.

I just wish I knew where it came from. The last time something like this happened I was hung over, but I don't have that excuse this time, sadly enough--then at least I'd have enjoyed the lead-up. Right now I'm guessing a combination of stress, fatigue, the change in weather, several hours of listening to fire alarms, paint fumes, and a recent reduction in caffeine intake. At least, that's what I hope it is. High on my very long list of things I really, really don't need is a brain tumor.

There must be an upside. I have to see an upside. Luckily, there is an upside. Damn, I'm going all optimistic.

I now have something to write about.

I started this, the first day of my new writing regimen, somewhat at a loss for material. Hell, you saw the last post--I was reduced to wittering on about squirrels and how I revel in tormenting my stupid cat. But now? Now I'm good and worked up. Now I can sit here merrily tapping away about how it feels like I'm trying to sprout a third eye (having seemingly chosen to interpret Eastern mysticism a tad too literally) whilst cursing myself for never getting around to buying ibuprofen.

And it could be worse, as it always can be. It no longer hurts to breathe through my nose. Much. Getting some dinner down my throat seems to be helping (now, ironically, I begin to worry I'm not eating enough). And standing upright merely brings about a dull pounding, as opposed to a full-on horse's hoof to the face.

What's really odd about all this is how my Pandora station doesn't seem to bother me one bit. You'd think if fire alarms make it worse, Hate Eternal certainly would. Seems not to be the case, though. If this is cancer it might actually be helping--I'm pretty sure the music I listen to is capable of beating tumors to death with its metaphorical bare fists.

You know, I wasn't even gonna do this tonight. I thought the headache was the perfect excuse for getting out of this. But nope, here I am. Maybe I'm more of a writer than I thought. Well, I have always enjoyed complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment