Wednesday, March 10, 2010

This one takes a very weird turn near the end

I used to love Marshmallow Peeps.

Couldn't get enough of them. Every year when Easter season rolled around, there I'd be at the store, snapping them up. I must have been eating something like three boxes a week back then, that time of year. The Bunnies were my favorite--'cuz of the texture, you see.

This wasn't always the case. When I was younger the very idea of Peeps revolted me. I'd never actually tried any--it was the very concept of the thing I found so off-putting. At some point my parents got me a single, giant Peep one Easter as a joke. I figured "what the hell", ate it--and discovered I actually enjoyed it. From then on, I was hooked.

Strange thing, though--even once they started selling holiday-appropriate Peeps more or less year-round, I still only ate them around Easter. Any other time just felt like cheating--spoiled the magic, if you will. Same reason people only eat candy corn around Halloween (apart from candy corn tasting like pre-chewed Tootsie rolls, that is)--it just isn't done.

Somewhere along the way, though, it all changed. I remember I was halfway through a box of Peeps when a sudden realization struck me like a DU round:

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted.

This is not the only time something like this has happened. My once all-encompassing addiction to Mountain Dew Code Red was broken in a similar fashion, by the abrupt (and, again, mid-consumption) epiphany that its taste resembled nothing so much as cough syrup.

The difference in these two cases lies in the completeness of the break. While I haven't so much as touched Code Red since that fateful day, the benighted Peep still, somehow, maintains a vestigial hold on me. Every year, sometime during Easter season, I find myself compelled to purchase and eat a single box of the blasted bunnies. Some kind of bizarre tribute to the Gods of Confection, perhaps, or a twisted feeling of holiday spirit, Easter never having held any meaning to me beyond dyed eggs and piles of candy nestled in Astroturf-lined baskets. Now that I think of it, the latter explanation seems more likely--I plan to feed my next batch of hard-boiled eggs through the Paas machine, same as last year. I even plan to make yet another annual attempt to drink the contents of one of the cups of dye. I may even succeed this time, obviating the need for any further attempts.

But that's besides the point. The point is, I got my Peeps quota out of the way this morning.

They were the bunnies, of course--always the bunnies. Pink ones. I'd hoped to find season-appropriate green ones, but no such luck. I noticed they're not holding the sugar so well anymore--the pink shit got everywhere, including my eyes (I'd rather not talk about that). Somebody's getting sloppy. Probably me.

About the eyes on those things--man, even when I actually liked these things the eyes always bugged me. What are they made of? They don't taste like anything. Actually, come to think of it that's not true. They taste like old scabs (or, uh, so I'd imagine). Appropriate I guess, since that's what they look like.

How were they? About as awful as I remembered. I didn't think it was possible to fuck up a marshmallow, but somehow Peeps manage it. Leaving the sugar-shit coating aside, they just taste...flattened. If there's such a thing as unleavened marshmallows, Peeps would be they. And the sugar coating just makes it worse--they use way too much of it, always have. It's like eating a marshmallow cocooned in fine-grain sandpaper.

So, yeah, pretty awful. Plus I think they've upped the dye content or something--when I went to brush my teeth I noticed the toothpaste suds were all pink. I never noticed that before. It makes sense--why go for quality when you can get vibrancy at a fraction of the price? All you need do is get beleaguered mothers to toss the product in the shopping cart to quell their screaming brats--then the money's in the register, regardless of whether anyone eats them or not.

What is it about these things, anyway? Did I ever really like them per se, or was I just so surprised by their failure to be sublimely horrid I convinced myself such? Despite what I said above, Peeps aren't the worst thing I've ever eaten, not by far. It just happened to be the worst thing in my mouth right at that moment. And I had a great many things in my mouth just then--I'm still compiling a list. Certainly I don't maintain a ritualistic relationship with any of the other appallingly unhealthy foodstuffs I've sworn off over the years. I don't, say, walk into McDonald's on the anniversary of my first viewing of Super Size Me and order the #3 combo. Nor do I mainline Mountain Dew Code Red when I get a cold. You get the idea.

Perhaps I should find a healthier, thematically similar substitute. Like say, every year around Easter I find a warren full of baby rabbits and swallow them all whole. Good source of protein, baby rabbits. Plus the fur is great for scouring out your colon--each one's like a little scrub brush! Oh, don't look at me that way--they're rabbits, notorious for their fecundity. It's not like I'm going to swallow a baby rabbit only to belatedly realize it was the last rabbit on earth. Actually, in that situation I might go ahead and do it anyway. It's not like the little squirt's going to singlehandedly refresh the lagomorph population or anything. Plus I imagine being the last rabbit on earth would suck. What's worse--suffocating in gastric juices or dying of a loneliness-induced broken heart?

Which, I ask? Which?

1 comment:

  1. De-constructing the marshmallow peep -- only you, my dear.

    ~Zooey

    ReplyDelete