Saturday, November 14, 2009

I should do those Baldur's Gate books, actually

So I dropped by an antique store today (same one I got the 2e DMG from, go figure) and came home with this:



And what, pray tell, am I holding in this excessively-blurry photo? Why, it's none other than the very first Dungeons & Dragons novel! The latest addition to my collection! And what am I going to do with it? Why, the same thing I've been doing with the rest of my collection: read it!

And so I undertake a special project of sorts. This is NOT the special project I've been hinting at for a while--I WILL get to that, it's even the same basic idea as this, but that book is just so horrid and so LONG I just can't seem to get motivated on it. That it's going to take a long-ass time isn't helping either.

Not that I'm expecting any value of quality from this book, either--if anything, this'll be a warmup for the REAL shit. Because, Dungeons & Dragons? Great game, SHIT novels. Yes, that includes the Dragonlance books. No, YOU'RE a faggot. Not only that, but it's written by Andre Norton. I haven't read any of her stuff, but DAMN is there a lot of it. You could run an entire corner bookshop on her oeuvre. Forgive me for jumping to conclusions, but it's my experience that NOBODY with that kind of output is any good. And she wrote the book Beastmaster was based on. Make of that what you will.

This, then, is my mission and intent--read the book and post a blog entry, with requisite snark (or without if, wonder of wonders, the book is actually good), for each chapter. Call it a Let's Read. I'll still try to throw in posts on other stuff as I do this, just for variety's sake.

Wish me luck! It can't be as bad as the Baldur's Gate novelizations, right? RIGHT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment